Find below a Speech Delivered by Governor Adeleke on the occasion of the unveiling of Multi-billion Naira Infrastructure projects in OSUN State, Excerpts:
I organise this event as a major landmark in our push for the making of a new Osun State. Our administration is using this gathering to prove to the world that a new Osun is possible. The main purpose is therefore to unveil a Multi-Billion Infrastructure plan to address the huge deficit the state is experiencing.
Sound infrastructure is a condition for economic growth and development. The difference between a growing economy and a dormant one has to do with how developed the state infrastructure is. In the case of Osun, I have used the last 11 months to address the over 90 percent infrastructure deficit our administration inherited. But more still needs to be done, hence the ambitious plan to launch this infra plan that covers roads, health, water , schools among others.
Osun as the cradle of Yoruba nation must move quickly on the ladder of development. We can and must surpass those presently leading among comity of states. We should carry first in new age sectors like digital economy, sound infrastructures and others. We must overcome our inherited burden and chart a path of 21st century growth for our people.
By today’s event, our administration is building the confidence of the investing public. Osun state is ready and open for business. By investing so much in infrastructure upgrades, we are laying the foundation for effective public private partnership. We are getting set to key into infra financing opportunities as long as it will not add to the financial burden of the state.
Let me declare here that the infra plan I am about to unveil is purely state sponsored without any loan from financial institutions. I must also add that we are hitting the ground running immediately after this launch. We are complying with all procurement laws and due process.
Very importantly, our administration is ensuring localisation in the implementation process. Local content in terms of sourcing of materials and workforce are key to transfer skills and economically empower our people. This is in line with the five point agenda of our administration which seeks to boost the local economy. High local content is married with a strong maintenance plan to ensure the sustainability of the infrastructure.
With the flagoff of today’s infrastructure development, we are poised to further boost the State Economy as 95% of the Projects shall be executed by local content. Osun Money will be spent in Osun. We are determined to eliminate capital flight as witnessed in the past.
Before unveiling the infra plan, I invite you to watch what we have done in some critical sectors in the last 11 months.
We could show you more but for time constraints. You saw the schools before and after. You saw the medical outreach and how several thousands benefitted. Of course, the roads were captured. You saw the boreholes and how they are serving our people. After showing you a glimpse of what we have done within the infrastructure sector in the last 11 months, it is my honour to unveil new projects and infrastructure for the state.
1. Rehabilitation of 345 Health Centers in the 332 Wards in Osun State: Rehabilitation will include, Provision of Potable water, new toilets, and bathrooms, Beds, Mattresses, Bedsheets, renovation and painting of buildings, new curtains, and Solar panels/Inverters for 24 hours electricity etc. Our approach is to take medical services to the doorstep of our people wherever they may be.
2. Phase two of Portable Water Provision in 332 wards of Osun State. Which includes, Overhead Tanks, the dispensing taps, generators, or solar panels. Under Phase One as you have seen, 332 water projects were completed. They are all functioning. Under the new plan, another set of underserved areas across the 332 political wards will be served with water projects.
3. Phase two of rehabilitation of 31 schools in the 30 mother local governments of Osun and Area Council. This includes portable water, new roofs, new toilets, renovation and painting of buildings, and Provision of desks and chairs. As you have seen in phase one of the school rehabilitation, our approach is to take a school and completely rehabilitate the buildings completely with desks and other learning facilities.
4. As a follow up to the completed rehabilitation of selected schools, the government has commenced the process of recruiting new teachers to address teachers’ shortage in our schools. Currently, a need assessment is ongoing to determine the teachers’ requirements across subjects and schools. This will help to determine the number of teachers to recruit.
5. Construction/ Rehabilitation of 45 roads of at least one kilometer in each of the 30 mother local governments, making a total of 45 Kilometers. As you saw in the preview, we have earlier completed about 45 kilometers of roads across the LGAS. These new roads are fresh projects for phase two.
6. Dualisation of Roads: In a bid to ease traffic jams and reduce road accidents, we are dualising some roads in some major towns to start with. The listed towns include Osogbo, Ede and Ilesha.
7. Construction of five Flyovers to ease traffic accidents and traffic jams. The identified projects are as follows:
● Osogbo – two namely Okefia and Lameco junction
● Ikirun- One
● Ife- one, Mayfair
● Owode Ede- One
8. Street Lightning: We are to install street lights in all major towns, especially Osogbo as the State Capital. This is important to enhance security surveillance and boost the night economy.
9. Imole Medical Outreach
Two medical outreaches were conducted in two locations in each of the three Senatorial districts in the last ten months. Various surgical procedures, including cataract eye surgeries, were done during the outreaches. The outreaches will be conducted once per quarter in the years ahead
Ladies and Gentlemen and my good people of Osun, all these projects shall be completed within 12 months by the grace of God.
It is therefore my honour and privilege to flag off the multi- Billion Naira Infrastructure Development of Osun. I implore the good people of the State to cooperate with the Contractors that will be handling these projects with the best of hospitality.
For further technical details on these infra plans, I will now call on team lead for each of the sectors to speak on costing and other requisite details●
Senator Ademola Adeleke,Executive Governor of Osun State delivered his speech at the unveiling of the multi billion naira Osun State Infrastructure plan.