The 17 Southern Governors held its meeting on Monday as scheduled in Lagos and after much deliberations on matters pertaining to the current security situation in the country, constitutional amendment, petroleum Industry Bill(PIB) among others, a communiqué was issued and read by the Chairman of the Southern Governors Forum Arakunrin Oluwarotimi Akeredolu(SAN)
In the Communiqué read by the Governor of Ondo State, Arakunrin Akeredolu, the Forum has ‘’set a timetable of Wednesday, 1st September 2021 for the promulgation of the anti-grazing law in all Member States’’.
‘’ The Forum resolved that Funds deducted from the Federation Account for the Nigeria Police Security Trust Fund should be distributed among the States and Federal Government to Combat Security Challenges’’.
However,’’ the Forum rejects the ownership Structure of the proposed Nigeria National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPC)’’.
‘’ The Forum disagree that the company be vested in the Federal Ministry of Finance but should be held in Trust by Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority(NSIA) since all tiers of Government have Stakes in that vehicle’’.
For the Full Text of the Communiqué, read below:
COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE CONCLUSION OF THE MEETING OF GOVERNORS OF SOUTHERN NIGERIA
AT THE LAGOS STATE GOVERNMENT HOUSE, IKEJA, LAGOS STATE, ON MONDAY 5TH JULY,2021
The Southern Governors Forum at the end of the meeting held on Monday, 5th July 2021, reviewed the situation in the country and focused on the current security situation, constitutional amendment, Petroleum Industry Bill(PIB).
Rising from the meeting, the Forum agreed on the following:
- Re-affirmed their commitment to the unity of Nigeria on the pillars of equity, fairness justice, progress, and peaceful co-existence between and amongst its people.
- The Forum re-iterates its commitment to the politics of equity, fairness and unanimously agrees that the presidency of Nigeria be rotated between Southern and Northern Nigeria and resolved that the next President of Nigeria should emerge from the Southern Region.
- The Forum reviewed the security situation in the country and commends security operations for their relentless efforts in restoring security and safety and commiserates with the families and love ones of those who have fallen in the line of duty.
- Re-emphasized the need for State Police
- Resolved that if for any reason security institutions need to undertake an operation in any State, the Chief Security Officer of the State must be duly informed;
- The forum frowns at selective criminal administration of Justice and resolved that arrests should be made within the ambit of the Law and Fundamental Human Rights
- Set a timeline of Wednesday, 1st September 2021 for the promulgation of the anti-grazing Law in all Member States; and
- Resolved that Funds deducted from the Federation Account for the Nigeria Security Trust Fund should be distributed among the States and Federal Government to Combat Security Challenges.
- Petroleum Industry Bill Law (PIB)
- The Forum Commends the National Assembly for the progress made in the passage of the PIB;
- The Forum rejects the proposed 3% and supports the 5% share of the oil revenue to the host community as recommended by the House of Representatives.
- The Forum also rejects 30% share of profit for the exploration of oil and gas in the basins;
- However, the forum rejects the ownership structure of the proposed Nigeria National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPC). The Forum disagrees that the company be vested in the Federal Ministry of Finance but should be held in trust by Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority(NSIA) since all tiers of Government have stakes in that vehicle.
5.. In order to consolidate our democracy and strengthen the Electoral process, the Southern Governors’ Forum rejects the removal of Electronic transmission of the election result from the electoral act; and also rejects the confirmation of the exclusive jurisdiction in pre-election matters on the Federal High Court.
(6) The Forum unanimously chose Lagos State as its permanent Secretariat and appreciated the Governor of Lagos State for the wonderful hosting of the meeting while commending him for his good work in the State.
Arakunrin Oluwarotimi Odunayo Akeredolu(SAN),
Governor, Ondo State, and Chairman, Southern Governors’ Forum