It was sad news when it was reported that a fire outbreak has gutted the Federal Ministry of Education area of the Abuja Federal Secretariat on Wednesday evening.
The Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Fire Service has confirmed that a man was injured after the incident.
The FCT Fire Service Public Relations Officer(PRO), Mr. Ibrahim Muhammed, told the News Agency of Nigeria(NAN), that the injured man, with a leg injury, is yet to be identified at press time.
‘’One person who probably decided to work after office hours at the secretariat sustained an injury in the leg.
‘’The annex area of the secretariat where Zenith bank is located was affected by the fire but the situation is currently under control as firefighters are on the ground, he said’’.
According to Muhammed,’’ men of the fire service had been battling with the fire which has affected the registry and records, accounts, pension, and variation units since 8.00 pm on Wednesday.
‘’The fire started on the second floor and the cause of the fire was not immediately known but there have been rumours earlier, on some social media that the conflagration was caused by a generator at one of the secretariat car parks but this has been dismissed as false by the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Fire Service.
Mr. Ibrahim Muhammad, the spokesperson, FCT Fire Service had said that the fire was caused by an 18-seater coaster bus that was gutted by fire and was the only affected property in the building.
‘’An 18-seater coaster bus at the parking lot was the one on fire at the Federal Secretariat and it was probably a staff bus. The fire started after the close of work, and at about 5.11 p.m when we were called, we turned up at the scene immediately.
‘’We were able to put the fire under control with the assistance of the Fedreral Fire Service but the bus was a write-off. We were also able to prevent the fire from spreading to other parts of the building’’, he said.
Muhammed stated that no life was lost but called on FCT residents to contact the FCT fire service in case of a fire on its service hotline:092906118
He advised that it was necessary for all residents to save the phone number of the service in case of a fire emergency.
‘’We have sensitized people at the Federal Secretariat severally, but it’s not everyone that is serious and interested in saving our number.
‘’Although we got several calls from residents at our control room concerning this fire, which is a positive development